Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Was it a mistake?

I shared recently that my beautiful daughter finally learned to ride her bike without training wheels on Sunday.  She is thrilled.  We went out last night after school and purchased her a bigger bike.  She has outgrown the 18 inch bike that she had, but could not go larger because you can not put training wheels on the larger bikes.   She went up to a 20 inch bike and we headed over to my SIL's house to let her and the fabulous 3 (my niece and nephews) ride together.  Even my son, who is NOT a fan of the bike, was excited because he got a practically new, hand-me-down bigger bike (with reinstalled training wheels).  They had a blast riding around a walking/riding path at the condos.  My brother in law and husband went with them.

Well, now we are on day 3 of bike-a-palooza with my girl and the stinkin' rain had to go and clear up (DANG!).  Guess who noticed that little fact?  That's right, BikeGirl!  So she's hitting up daddy to take her out again and he's having nothing to do with it.  Next she flashes those sad little brown eyes to Suckermom (I need a t-shirt with a big S on it).  I go out and dig out my old bike that hasn't seen the light of day in 9 years,  get the tires pumped up and place my expanded backside on that tiny little seat.   Sounds like fun right?  Well, I could handle the bike seat without too much problem, but the first time I start to ride, I realize that my knee surgery 5 years ago has rendered my left knee with the inability to get the range of motion needed to repetitively pedal without extreme pain.  So, not wanting to disappoint my sweet little BikeGirl, I persevere and we go for a ride.  The entire trip, I am wondering, what happens when we stop and I try to get off this thing and walk again?     We go around the block and over into another neighborhood and around that block.  About a mile from home, I finally have to call UNCLE and tell my girl that we have to head back. My knee feels like it is swelling up like a balloon.  The pain wasn't coming from the actual exertion, it was coming from the fact that I can not longer bend it past a certain point (haven't been able to since the surgery) and the pedaling motion constantly forced it to bend further than it can.  We make it home and I get off the bike expecting pain but find that it really doesn't hurt anymore than normal, THANK THE LORD!

So this leads me to ask,  "Was it a mistake?"   Will the newness wear off soon?  Will riding get easier for me if I keep trying to bend this knee?  It STINKS getting old!  Just sayin'.....

2 comments:

Running in Heaven said...

Wow.. Way to go mom. I'm proud of you. That being said, SUCK IT UP BUCKY!!! COWGIRL UP!!! Love the video.

JoyFinder said...

Love the video! Way to go on the bike ride. It will be something she (Little P) remembers forever. Oh happy days!

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)