Monday, March 28, 2011

The games we play.....

Okay, so like I said at 2:00 am this morning when I blogged for the first time in over a year, I am going to do better...well, this is me doing better...

I have a funny story to tell today that just will not possibly fit on a FB status screen, so read on, dear friends.....

OK, picture this...my 5 year old son (J) and 5 year old nephew (C) are sitting quietly on the floor playing a game. Just the two of them and this a unusual event for these two. The game is Headbands. It is a child's game (there is actually an adult edition) where you put this headband, hence the name, on your head and you draw a card from a pile without looking at it and put it on the headband so that your opponents can see it. The opponents start a timer and you have to ask as many questions to help you guess the item that is on the picture on your headband.
The boys have only ever played it before with the older siblings/cousins, an 11 year old and two 8 year olds, but this time the other three were busy doing something else. My sister in law and I are sitting on the couch talking and we start noticing the boys....J pulls out a car and says "OK, let me get this on here", while he not so subtly flips the card, looks it over, not once, but twice and C never says a word. Then C starts the timer, J says "Am I a ladder?" which of course he is....I am getting ready to bust J for cheating on his cousin and then I see C getting his card to go in his headband...C grabs his card and says "OK, let me put this hold...hold on a sec...". He, not so secretly, turns his back and studies the card, puts it in his headband and turns back for J to start timer. C immediately says "Am I a glass of milk?" (now I am going to admit to making up the actual card items because I just don't remember them all, but to give you the idea)...I nudge my sister in law and see that she has already noticed the interaction between the five year olds.
They are both obviously, blatantly cheating on each other and neither has caught on to that fact.

My sister in law and I watch this for a couple of minutes and I, being the trouble maker that I am, decided to mix it up a little. I say "J, are you cheating on C? C, J is cheating on you!"
C. gets kind of indignant, takes the card off of J's headband and says that he has to get a new card and proceeds to continue the game as usual. My sister in law and I are rolling in laughter and have included the husbands at this point and then I say "C, that was wrong of J, you wouldn't cheat on him like that would you?" and he says "No", and we all laugh harder, neither of the boys understand why all the adults are now laughing. I say again "C, you aren't cheating are you?" and he again says no. Then I say "C, what's on your headband?", he immediately answers "Am I a igloo?" which was of course, EXACTLY what was on his head.....

I just wish, I had listened to my sister in law and waited to get the video camera to see if we could have captured the moment forever on film but neither of us had one handy and it was just too much fun watching their reaction. The funny thing is, they still did not get it or completely understand what we were laughing about.

4 comments:

JoyFinder said...

Too funny! Everytime I look at the Headbanz box, I will remember the two of them playing that game together.

JoyFinder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Running in Heaven said...

Nice... Only in the world of 5 year old's!!!! I think the mom of J was helping him out. I'm just saying :)

JoyFinder said...

What's funnier is that neither one of them thought they were cheating! It made the game all that much more fun for the two 5 year olds.

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)