Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy November 5th!

Since it is finally over and the people have spoken and the choice has been made, does this mean that I can finally watch something on TV that is not related to the election and this nastiness and bashing that has been going on for what seems like forever. I will go on record here and probably upset some of my readers in saying that I am glad that McCain did not win. I will also go on record in saying that I am concerned and a bit worried that Obama did. I actually considered not voting at all yesterday but then I realized that it was my honor and privilege to vote and it was a right that was fought for by many women (if you want to really see this in action, watch the movie "Iron Jawed Angels"). I am thrilled with the fact that man of color has won the election, I think it was about time that our country has been able to move past the color of a person's skin in chosing it's leader. I just wish it could have been someone that had the same beliefs and voted on the moral issues in a way that did not draw us further away from God. But unlike some people, I do not think that Mr. Obama is an evil person or "the Antichrist". That is just ridiculous. And if by some reason I am wrong, well, it is part of God's plan and that just means Christ is coming soon and we all need to be ready.
I spent a lot of time in school yesterday talking to my girl about what an election is and how important it is. I explained that it was our responsibility as adults to get out there and have our choice counted. I still had no clear word from God or idea which way I was going to vote when I was standing there marking my ballot. As a matter of fact, my daughter asked me several times who I was going to vote for as she waited to feed the paper into the machine. I knew that I should vote my moral values and not my finances but that was the where the dilema came in, I could not vote for EITHER if I voted based on my values. I was truly between a rock and a hard place. So I did vote my morals and chose neither. I know my write in vote was lost in the count and it was as good as voting for no one BUT I can honestly say that I did not compromise what I believed to vote for either candidate. It was kind of humorous when I walked out of the polling center though and the "supporters" standing there waiting to pass out stickers with your candidate on it to wear proudly throughout the day. An Obama person offered me a sticker and I declined, saying sorry, can't wear that one. A McCain person heard me and immediately handed me one of her's and I smiled at her and said "No thank you, can't wear that one either'"
They both gave me strange looks as if to say, "well what else is there?!"

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

Good for you for standing your ground. I'm proud of you girl.
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you voted no matter who you voted for and you're right it was a hard choice to make. I'm glad that you were one of the ones that took the time to research the candidates and see where they stood.
I will be praying for Mr.Obama for he is now my president.

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)