Tuesday, October 28, 2008

House cleaning gone awry......

Yesterday was one of those days when my urge to clean and organize outweighed my abilities and common sense. For those of you who read my crazy writings on a regular basis, you know that for months I whined and complained about the fact that my sweet husband was dragging his feet in the painting department. Well, he finally did get it done and we got all the tape down about a week or so before the wedding and our trip. I have not been feeling up to putting up the curtains and all the pictures and knick knacks since our return, but yesterday, since I was feeling better, I got that urge to restore my downstairs. The very first thing I decided to do was get a huge mirror that was going to go over my couch and put that up. My first mistake was in thinking that I could do this. Now, not being a stupid woman (oh shut up Lorrie!), I smartly determined that this was a very heavy mirror and it needed to be hung from a stud in order to stay on the wall.
I went into my husband's tools (big mistake! HUGE!) and got his measuring tape and stud finder (many jokes come to mind with this one, but I digress) and a couple of other things. I intelligently measured the distance between the hanging thingys on the back of the mirror and took the stud finder/laser level into the livingroom to tackle this project. I used the stud finder to find a stud in the first spot and put in a pretty large screw (I did say this mirror was huge and heavy). I used the laser lever to shoot a beam to the other side of the wall and used the measuring tape and placed a pencil mark exactly 49 inches away. All was going great! I got the stud finder to find another stud on or near the pencil mark and found one....or so I thought...turns out...NOT SO MUCH.....anyway, not being one to give up, I tried again two more times creating a total of 4 holes in the freshly spackled and painted wall.
Even my kids realized the folly of my actions! I got several comments such as "Oh, momma! Daddy's gonna be mad!" and my personal favorite "You're going to get a spanking!" (Like he'd even consider it!) I got the spackle out and did some repairing, turns out I'm not so good at that!
Anyway, when my DH came home that evening he came into the house and those little traitors were all too eager to find out if Momma was going to get a spanking. They ran up to daddy and each grabbed a hand and said "Look what momma did!"
That's when I got the ever favorite, "thoroughly discussed with YOU!" look and that condenscending "Why did you do that?" along with "Why didn't you just wait for me" and finished off with a healthy dose of "Let me just fix this immediately so that you can feel like a complete moron even though it took me 6 months to originally paint this room" cold shoulder.....I'd have preferred the spanking!
You better believe the next time those little angels do something wrong, I'm going to be waiting at the door to tell on them too! And just you wait til he tries to cook something!
Anyway, I did not get my cleaning done yesterday after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Tracey, but that was just too funny.

Lorrie said...

Holy Cow that was toooo funny. And the reason why you didn't wait for him to do it? Cause you didn't want to wait another 6 months, Been there, done that. I would've done it myself. maybe we ARE stupid??? haha!
Now, get to cleaning..... That house ain't gonna clean itself. What's wrong with that OCD, girl???

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)