Saturday, September 13, 2008

What is it like to be a human pin cushion, you ask?


OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I had no idea what I was in for!
I had my first day of allergy testing yesterday. I am not afraid of needles. I don't mind the occasional shot or blood test.....so I thought...NO PROBLEM....Right.....
My baby girl had allergy testing last year and they took this block with like 50 little needle things and scratch it on her back and test them all at once. I thought, Ok, that looked painful but manageable....
Is that what they did to me? NO!!!!
On day one, I went in and saw that she had 20 full sized hypodermic needles in different allergens. She says that she will be injecting them in my arm in a row and making a raised bubble of sorts like a TB test and then looking at them. I thought, OK. I can do this. About 1/2 through, I was thinking, IS IT OVER YET! Then she finishes and sets the timer. I thought. WHEW! Made it.
The timer goes off and she looks at them and I said, Ok, all done? She says, No that was just the FIRST set.....! We went through this process 3 MORE TIMES!!!! I had 80 plus needle holes in my left arm! OoooooooooUCH!!!!! It took all I had to sit there for the last set. I just wanted to run away. I asked her, since I have the next set on Monday morning, will they use the same arm again? She says it depends on how well it heals over the weekend. I ask her if each visit will be this many shots......Praying for a big NEGATORY on that one......and she says that they will be AT LEAST this many but it depends on my reaction to things. If they don't get a diffinite positive result, they redo it.......
I am now shaking in my boots!!!!!
Oh, and by the way, I am officially allergic to the planet Earth and need to relocate.........JUST SO YOU KNOW!!!!

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

OMG! Guess I now know why I haven't done any allergy shots yet..
I'll keep popping the meds thank you.
If I'm going to get stabbed with that many needles, I want INK on them for some more pretty artwork! HA!
Poor thing.
Oh, and where exactly do you plan on relocating to? I just want to make sure I get your forwarding address...

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain sista. I had to go thru the same testing in high school and I passed out twice during the test and once when I was checking out. I'm having some allergy issues myself, but I don't think I can go thru that again. Seriously.

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)