Monday, March 10, 2008

I got a big wake up call yesterday...

Did all of you realize that Easter, THE best holiday of the year, is only 2 weeks away!!! I just did not realize this. Easter was not even on my radar at all until yesterday in church when the pastor announced that it was just 2 weeks away! It seems like Spring and everything is just jumping up on me. I am still in full winter mode (especially since we haven't had one yet) and the time change seemed like it was months early to me yesterday and now Easter, which is the beginning of actual spring in my mind, is just 2 weeks away. I normally start adding stuff for the kiddos Easter baskets to my grocery shopping about a month in advance so that its not such a big hit at one grocery bill. I also start thinking about what everyone is going to wear and getting stuff together.

I know a lot of you think this is old-fashioned but I grew up in a family with very little money and we rarely got new clothes or candy so Easter was a big deal for us because my grandmother always tried to make sure we had something new to wear to church and each got an basket with goodies. My cousin, who was an only child, would always come over and we would have the best time hiding eggs and "finding" them again. By the end of the day, the colored eggs that we had made would be so cracked up and nasty looking that they were not edible. Now, my kids get to hunt for plastic eggs (my grandmother couldn't afford those but my aunt use to save the big eggs her pantyhose came in for our baskets) and they even get a toy of some sort and a new outfit but I think their best memories will come from spending the time with their cousins and family.


I absolutely love Easter. It is the beginning of spring for me (like I already said), there isn't the pressure or stress that you feel from Christmas, We normally go out to eat instead of all the ladies having to cook, we spend time with family and/or friends and we celebrate the fact that our Savior, Jesus Christ, rose from the dead and is coming again. To me, this is even more of a reason to celebrate than His birth, which is also important. So tonight when I get groceries, I will begin my Easter shopping a bit late but with a sense of excitement of the coming holiday and season.
Have a blessed day!!

1 comment:

Darleen said...

You are RIGHT!! Easter is very sneaky this year! It is coming early!! Spring and the time change seem to be creeping up on me, i just can't believe it!!

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)