Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Break? Not for some....

I was at the library with the kiddos yesterday and it struck me how sad it is that it was full of kids between the ages of 8-14 who are out on Spring break from school and had nowhere to be and no one to watch them. Are those librarians being paid enough to babysit 40 plus kids all day for a week? They were basically using the computers for whatever the allowed time limit was and then "taking a break" (I guess that was a requirement of the librarians) before getting back on the list and using the computer again. They were not studying or doing anything educational, they were just surfing the net, being too loud, and roughhousing (stealing each others cellphones and such) and using foul language (my kids heard more curse words from other kids at the library than they have ever heard from adults).
It was sad. The YMCA was having a "Spring Break Camp" which was just a holding area for kids for 10 hours out of the day this week. I think they do some stuff with them but I have seen them and I am not impressed (at least the one here). Is this what childhood is about now? My kids may not be vacationing at the beach or out playing everyday but I just hope that when they think back on their childhoods, they will remember that I did things with them. I know that it is not the choice of many of their parents but more a case of necessity that they are working. I just think its sad that in order to survive now days, our kids have to be sacraficed.
Well, time to get off my soapbox...

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)