Tuesday, March 4, 2008

So much excitement.....

Yesterday was such an exciting day. My big boy used the "baffroom" but unfortunately it was a one hit wonder. I have tried several times to get him to repeat it and he just says "No Fankyou"
We apparently raise kids in this house that want to take full advantage of their diaper years. My dd absolutely refused to have anything to do with potty training until she was 3 1/2 years old. She was totally capable of doing it but just refused. It took the prospect of getting baby toys for Christmas to inspire her to become a big girl. I told her that is what she would be getting if she didn't start using the potty. But on the plus side, when she did it, it was over with in just one day.
My ds has used the potty several times but still will not do it regularly. I do not push him just like I did not push his sister because I know he will be ready one day and as a mom, it is actually easier to change diapers than to stop everything to help out and then clean up after each time they need to go. I have to admit though, it would be nice to get rid of the extra expense on our climbing grocery bill. Ok, enough potty talk....
Today is suppose to be really warm here and I am hoping to get school done early (we have finished all of our official curriculum for the school year but since it is just March, we will be reviewing and reinforcing things until May. I am not ready to start First grade with her yet and I really just want to make sure she is totally mastering everything she needs for kindergarten.
She is such a smart kid but her lack of focus and concentration leads me to believe she could still use some maturing time before we go much further.
I do not regret our decision to home school at all. It has been good to see her learn each and every concept and to know exactly where her strength and weaknesses are. I know we are going to do this again next school year and see where we stand from there. My ds will not be ready for K5 until she is in 3rd grade so I am hoping to do two more grades. Who knows, I may get so into it that we just keep going. Unless he is a slow learner or has problems, my son should be much easier to teach because he is much more calm and compliant than his big sister. Only time will tell and only God know what the future holds but Home Schooling is not as bad as I thought it would be.

2 comments:

Hartman said...

It is nice to know what your kids are learning isn't it?

Lorrie said...

I gotta admit, your point about being able to see her strenghts and weaknesses is a good one. I'm glad you've taken to it. I know how unsure you were at first!
And kind of congrats on the potty going!! lol.
That's how DNK was. TOTALLY not interested, then when she was 2.5, she asked me to use the potty and never looked back. It's all about when THEY are ready!!!

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)