Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I have been called on the carpet....

My friend has threatened to actually PICK UP THE PHONE and call me if I don't blog so here goes...Life in Snoozerville has been amusing to some lately so I have been told to share. I hope I don't tick off my DH, if he ever reads this but here goes.....
Last weekend, my husband started itching on his legs and arms. He was very concerned about it and started trying to figure out what it was. I looked, and not too sympathetically told him it looked like bug bites that had gotten irritated but that it did not look too bad. I basically implied that he needed to suck it up, build a bridge and to coin a phrase from my SIL "beat feet". See, as a mom, you realize that unless it is one of your kids who is sick, all other sicknesses are insignificant, barring hospitalization that is. He was not so convinced, he was on a mission to control the itching and discover the cause. He called his mom, his sister, went to the clinic at work, attempted twice to go to the doctor and then finally went to the emergency room (seems a bit extreme to me but apparently it was important) His mom told him maybe it was a reaction to a bug bite that caused a condition called Impetigo (spelling?). To which I told him that he needed to put hydro cortisone to control the itch and wait it out. His sister agreed that this may it. The emergency room doctor told him that it was poison ivy and that he need to use hydro cortisone cream and he had to wait it out. He had also been read to put baking soda and vinegar on it and to bath in baking soda.....Now, here is the part that I am not proud of but I think a lot of you girls can understand. I have mentioned in the past that I am a bit of a neat freak, kind of obsessive or compulsive over it....well, let's just say that I was reduced to making the comment that if my husband did not "recover" soon, I would be forced to kill him to put us out of his misery. It would be humane after all. Kind of like when a horse breaks its leg...get my drift? This man of mine in three days time went through 7 pairs of pants and 5 sweat shirts and also completely coated our bathroom in baking soda along with our sheets and got in on the couch.....along with that, he was in too much discomfort to help with practically anything and did little more than "treat" his injuries with every home remedy and medical remedy he could find on the internet for over a week now.
We had a birthday celebration with our family on Saturday for both the kids and apparently his parents and siblings had heard about enough of it too. My BIL, the one I call "The Mean One" (not because he is actually mean just because he likes to pick and joke around so that is his nickname, btw, he calls me "Trouble" so don't feel bad for him that I call him this) was fully armed with jabs when he arrived. He teased my husband and even joked that he wanted to go on a field trip of the backyard to see the horrible vine that attacked him and caused such grievous injuries...
So, for those of you wondering where I have been, I have been at my husband's bedside 24-7 taking care of him.....

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

oh, you poor thing! there is NOTHING worse than a sick dh! ugh! My dh had poison ivy once, but it didn't spread past a few spots on his arms and hands. I hear it's terrible, but I can totally understand how you must've felt. Luckily, my dh will just suffer and be miserable before he would look online for any reasonable home remedy. he hates medicating of any kind - homeopathic or medical.. doesn't matter!
Hope he's getting better now. Sorry things have been so yucky for you sweetie. JUST KEEP OCTOBER IN MIND!

Anonymous said...

Good post.

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)