Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another day in the trenches....

Okay, now this post is not for those with weak stomachs, consider yourself warned....My DS has had a problem with occasional constipation since he was about 3 months old. It has been much better in the last year but he will sometimes have a problem. Yesterday was one of those days. He was grumpy and whiny and just downright uncomfortable all day. It started on Monday. Apparently if he gets a little "bound up" he starts to tense up and squeeze "it" back up. If you can catch him before he is successful, you can make him bend up and relax and let it out but if you don't notice the signs, it just keeps growing and growing. Well, yesterday it had grown into a significant problem. It was our primary day here so I needed to get out and vote and it was also our Library day. So out in public, he would just start whimpering and tensing and there was nothing I could do.
Now, for those of you who are wondering, yes, we have tried giving him more water, giving him prune and apple juice, increasing his fiber and even giving him a children's laxative. The problem is that until he gets the initial stoppage out, the soft stuff doesn't help. And we don't give him the stuff as a preventative because then he would have diarrhea all the time.
Are you grossed out yet?
Well, I warned you and the really gross part has not happened yet!
So, anyway, when we got back home from the library, I was able to "catch" him before he had successfully stopped the urge to go and forced him to bend his legs and stretch himself and let it out but by then it was almost too big to come out. So this is when you know that you really love your child, I have to "help" him get this out. So, in essense, I delivered a 3lb BM yesterday. My son was so exhausted afterwards that he crashed for a two hour nap.
This is my life in the trenches of motherhood. If anyone had ever told me that when I have kids, I would have to help a two year old have a BM, I would have sworn off motherhood. Guess that is why we don't normally talk about these things but you stop by to hear about my life when you read my blog and well......that was my day yesterday.
Have a blessed day!!!

2 comments:

Hartman said...

Congratulations on the new delivery!!! What a great job, eh??

Lorrie said...

OMGosh girl... that was just NASTY!
Yeah, being a mom is NOT an easy job!!

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)