Friday, February 22, 2008

Equal time....

Let me tell you about my son. He has been my shadow, my hip growth (permanently attached to my left hip since birth), my cuddlebug and my sweet, easygoing, calm little angel. He has been a breath of fresh air after my high energy, high maintenance daughter. We have worries because he doesn't talk much yet at almost 3 years old and he has an affinity for girl things (sadly, one that my daughter has never had) but he has been such a joy to his mother. Every new word that he learns and every sentence that he say is a cause for excitement in this mother's heart. He loves books and puzzles and has a real talent for dancing (much to his daddy's chagrin). He has also become quite the roughhousing little devil with his daddy lately and can tackle his sister to the ground when provoked. He is so much like his daddy in temperment and appearance that it is all most unbelievable. This is my son, or I should say our son, and in case you can't tell, I adore him.

It is never more apparent that we are all created different and unique as when you are parents to such obviously opposite children. They have many things in common such as their loving natures and good looks (In my opinion, LOL) but they are so different. I think it is why they get along so well. Where my DD is willful and determined, my DS is compliant and easygoing. Where my DD is talkative and determine to be the center of everyone's attention, my DS is quiet and content with the attention of his parents. They love each other so much and try to protect each other especially if one of them is due for a spanking.

I sure love my kids. Can you tell? We spend so much time together but I am thankful that I am able to get to know them and appreciate them for the people they are now. I wonder what all these qualities will add up to in the adults they will become. My DD is so much like me in personality and temperment that I suspect she is in for tough ride unless she learns to think twice before she does something. She is so impulsive, she is going to need someone like her dad or brother to bring her back to earth when she gets out there. My DS is so much like his daddy that I think he's going to need someone like his momma and sister to liven up his life when he grows up.

Have you ever really looked at your kids and imagined them at your age now? It is an eye opening experience. I think back to my childhood and the way I was then and wonder if my grandma had any of the same thoughts and worries that I do about my two. She had three different personalities and one with a mental handicap. I am sure she worried about my brother's future since she knew that he would need someone to always take care of him. My sister was always so sick that I know she worried about her. I'm sure I drove her crazy with my bossy, know-it-all, strong-willed self. She had already raised two of her own, one of which I know was a constant source of frustration and worry. Being a parent has a way of making you reflect on your own parents or in my case, grandmother with different eyes. I always thought she was so unfair and kept thinking I would do things so differently when I was a parent, but the truth is even though I do somethings different, I do many things the same.
She did the best she could with no money and no help from our parents or support of a husband.
She loved us and sacrificed for us and I love her even more today than I did then. I hope one day both my kids look back on their childhood and remember the love of both their parents and realize that even though we may not seem that wonderful now, we did the best we could.
Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Hartman said...

We do have a GREAT job, don't we Tracey??!!

Darleen said...

loved the read, your kids are great and their diverse personalities is what keeps us on our toes and keeps our lives so interesting!!

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)