Friday, December 28, 2007

Getting old....

I am feeling very old today. I am sleepy and it seems every joint in my body is creaking. I don't feel particularly witty or even very coherent enough to be blogging this morning. But here goes...
We have had a good couple of days with the DP. She was diagnosed with asthma almost a year ago exactly and has been taking Albuterol and Singulair and Zyrtec fairly regularly since. That is when sleep went bye bye in my house. She started complaining about bad dreams and saying that she just couldn't close her eyes and became extremely irritable and starting having outbursts of anger and aggression. Since she has always a bit on the excitable and hyper side, we didn't associate the medicine with the behavior. We just thought it was her. The last month or so has been pretty bad with her asthma and bronchitis and therefore the medicines were stepped up too. She was totally out of control. She was screaming at us and seemed to be unable to control herself. She was up all night long and just seemed to be totally unable to focus on anything. I made the decision to stop all meds except her inhaler and only if she absolutely needed it. There has been an amazing turn around in my girl in the last 5 days. She has become bearable again. She is a typical 5 year old and has an extreme amount of energy but she now seems to be able to sleep and has regained control of her temper and her behavior has improved immensely. I am hoping that it is not just a fluke and that she continues to improve. So far her coughing and congestion seems to be under control with just over the counter meds at night. I am hoping that we can just use the inhaler in the case of emergency. It was a bad situation before because her outbursts and temper tantrums would bring on the coughing and breathing issues and cause her to need the medicine. Pray that she continues to improve. I also want to ask any of my readers out there that are believers to pray for the 15 year old daughter of my very good friends. She had a heart transplant at the age of 3 years old and takes medicines daily for that (immune suppressants and anti-rejection meds along with meds to offset the effects of the other meds). This last 2 weeks she has been running a temperature off and on and has been very week and tired. She was admitted to the hospital the day after Christmas to be on the safe side and has been undergoing some tests. The positive news is that she is not in rejection and her heart appears to be fine but they are still trying to figure out what is wrong. Her parents are strong in their faith but are worried about her. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. Well, that is all for today. Have a blessed day!!!

3 comments:

Creative cakes by Deanslaw said...

Love the new look! Glad to hear that "little girl" is feeling/doing better. I totally understand the behavior issue. Mine has it without meds tho. Will definately pass the word on about friends daughter!

Lorrie said...

I like the new look of your blog. maybe I should try some blues. I just don't like the "paleness' of mine right now.
Good news to hear that the baby girl is doing better, and I'll be praying for A, hoping they find out whats wrong soon so they can treat it.

Darleen said...

hey, i didn't realize that K was on so many meds. i have heard that those particular meds can have those kind of reactions in children. i hope that your entire house starts to feel better, you all just seem to have the "yucks". And I just found out about "A" today from another peep, it sounds like she is doing better with some hydration. love your blog, i've got to learn how to do that.

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Dumb stuff I"ve said in the past.....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)