Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Were you boxed cereal or bag?

This post is not your normal "Life with my kids" fare. This memory of a past "inside joke" hit me last night while grocery shopping. When I was single, there were a group of us that did just about everything together. We had a CHUM house (Christian Home for Unwed Men) that had 4 of our best male buddies rooming together and a CHUG house (Christian Home for Unwed Girls) that had 3 single ladies (only 2 of which that were really part of the group but the third was a really nice girl, she just was too busy with her other friends to hang much). The rest of us singles who dwelled alone would congregate at one house or the other for much fun. There was even a married couple with two cute little girls that hung with us too (they were the chaperones) One time there was a hurricane bearing down on our area and a lot of us gathered at the CHUG house to wait it out. There were people everywhere. Several of us ladies got into a conversation about how much the guys just seemed to be drawn to Chrissy (she was the other girl roommate that already had a boyfriend and was rarely around) It seemed that they just loved being in her presence. One of us and I don't remember which, said that Chrissy was like a boxed cereal and the rest of us were bag cereal. You know what I mean. In the grocery store cereal isle, there is the boxed cereal, the high dollar named brand with the flashy box, the special prize included, the high profile Mascot...and then there is the bag cereal, in a nondescript bag with a name just enough different to not infringe on copyright laws and if it had a mascot, you had no idea of his name. Chrissy was the boxed cereal, the one that every kid wanted because it had all the high dollar advertising. We were the bag cereals, the ones that were equally as nutritious, equally (well that is a matter of opinion but for this illustration) tasty, and a whole lot less and you got a lot more for your money. Do you remember when you were a kid and your mom would sneak and buy the bag cereal and use it to refill the boxes? Most kids could not tell the difference. We decided this was the way it was with guys. So my question to you today, were you a boxed cereal? Speaking as a former bag cereal myself, I am glad that my guy never fell for the lure of a flashy boxed cereal. Besides did you ever notice that it was the bag cereal guys that chased the box cereals the hardest? Some of those guys weren't even the good bagged cereals. Some of them were the ones that just came in the black and white bags that said "Fruit flavored rings" or "Crispy rice puffs". You know the ones your mom wouldn't even try to slip past you. Anyway, that is my thought for the day. Teach your kids to appreciate bag cereals, you'll thank yourself later. LOL

Please note the correction that must be made: Susan (one of the room mates) corrected me and she is absolutely right. They did not want to be the CHUG house since that had some other connotations like Chugging beer. They decided on the CHAW house, Christian Home for Available Women. Thank you, Susan for helping my memory.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Yes, I remember this well. Unfortunately I am still on the shelf. Not sure what my packaging is but maybe I need to go on sale sometime! Ha Ha. Only one memory different than yours... it was the CHAW house (Christian Home for Available Women:) We didn't want to be a CHUG house:) Those were some really fun and exciting times but I know you are having many fun and exciting times of your own now! Miss ya! Susan

Darleen said...

Tracey,you are a hoot!! I have never heard that comparison ever, but I will probably get a chuckle next time I make my way down the cereal isle. I was not only a bagged cereal in junior high, but a bagged cereal in a non-descript black/white marked bag, but i fought my way into the bagged cereal with color when i went to high school. thanks for the food for thought for the day. darleen

Lorrie said...

I've always been a bagged cereal. Still am as a matter of fact..

Anonymous said...

Tracey,

The person who made the comparison was none other than Brian M. Who else could have come up with a comparison like that. I to remember that night rather well myself. I like to consider myself as boxed cereal in a bag to save the consumer money. ;^)

Brian

Anonymous said...

B square,
BM (LOL) probably did come up with that. Such wisdom...that's why we kept him around, And not because we all loved his sweet wife and girls.
Thanks for the comment.
Tracey

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Dumb stuff I"ve said in the past.....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)