Saturday, December 15, 2007

Is there a 12 step program for people who don't know when to stop buying for their kids?

I'm just wondering....I started off with the best intentions, just a couple of toys a piece, a couple of movies to share and then whatever they got from the grands, aunts and uncles would round it off to a nice sensible Christmas "haul" for the kiddos. Sounds great right....So I made a few purchases and then things went terribly wrong. I got "caught" up in the shopping excitement with my Partner in Crime, you got it,, Super Shopping Mom #2 (or #1 depending on your perspective) better known as my SIL. We do tag team shopping as I mentioned before. When we're done, we keep our eyes open for things to go on sale and if its worth the trip, we repurchase to save more money. It has got so confusing this year wonder who owes who what that we have had to hire a CPA to figure it all out. Our husbands just shake their heads in wonder. I did a mental inventory in my mind today and realized that my kids are getting more than they could need or deserve. Its a good thing my 5 year old knows the "secret" or she would have more to worry about. She knows that mom is a sucker and won't really take everything back since she's been camping out on the naughty list for about.....oh.....5 years now. My boy is a sweetie but has recently been venturing into the terrible twos and in my experience, those last....oh about....well....I'll let you know when the first one gets over them.
Anyway, I think its time to make some decisions. I may have to involve "the boss" but I'm scared.....then he will know what is actually out there and its not all here yet. I've got several shipments coming this week. Its not that I've particularly overspent, its more a matter of values. I really don't want my daughter to think that she is always going to get every single thing she has asked for even to the extent of being ridiculous. Wish me luck....I'll let you know if anything really goes back....

3 comments:

Lorrie said...

OH NO. you're in TROUBLE! DH is gonna kill you!! lol!

I'm glad I don't have that kind of problem.

hehehe.

Hartman said...

Oh no...things must be really bad if you have to involve "the boss" Avoid that as long as you can!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay let's put a little bit of reality on this... Anyone of us who knows your DH knows that buying anything is unnecessary to him with the exception of Chickfila and gas for the car. As for me being an influence, I did not encourage you to buy anything. I only told you where to go to get the items you had already purchased for a cheaper price;)

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Dumb stuff I"ve said in the past.....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)