Sunday, December 30, 2007

Old cartoons....the lesser of two evils?

My dd has really developed a love for "old school" cartoons. She loves Tom & Jerry, The Smurfs,
the old MGM cartoons, and many more of the shows now on the Boomerang network. As a kid, I never saw anything wrong with any of these but as a parent, I am not so sure. I never saw the stuff in them that I see now. Like all the negative racial references and negative attitudes towards women. Then you have all the slapstick violence in Tom and Jerry and some of the others. She prefers these over the newer ones. We have never let her watch shows like Hannah Montana and That's So Raven and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody because even though they are fairly clean, they have older kid themes like dating and such and at 5, we think that can wait. We only recently have let her watch Sponge Bob Squarepants because my DH was totally against it. I told him that it does have "bathroom" humor but appears relatively harmless for the most part.
It really is a shame that the deciding what to let your child watch is such a mine field. I know I sound like a prude but I don't want my children being brainwashed into believing that certain behavior is okay because it was shown in a humorous manner. I also don't want to put them in a Christian bubble and have it cruelly "popped" by the real world. We have pretty much stopped watching network TV shows except the stuff they deem "Preschool" shows. It is a shame that the networks think that only Preschoolers need clean wholesome shows that teach good moral values. Apparently now the magic age of being able to handle what use to be considered adult humor is 7, hence the Y7 rating on most "kids" shows. It is a real dilemma for parents who wish to maintain their childlike innocence at least 5 years past that age.
Anyway, those are my thoughts and rantings for today. You do not have to agree with them but Thanks for reading. Have a blessed day!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you let them watch, ARTHUR? That's a great show and it comes on PBS channel 15. That's the one show I don't mind watching with her. Even Evan, my 13 year old, will stop and watch. I've probably seen every episode and it always has a great message.

Darleen said...

The issue that I have with a lot of these shows is that they always make the adults look like idiots and the kids look smart. At least the older cartoons don't have that.

My journey through the pitfalls of motherhood

AND BEYOND....

Dumb stuff I"ve said in the past.....

Counter (Installed 06/19/08)